Re: Urban.legends.litigation?

Subject: Re: Urban.legends.litigation?
From: George Allaman <gallama -at- LOOKOUT -dot- ECTE -dot- USWC -dot- USWEST -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 12:21:40 -0700

On Sat, 6 Jan 1996, John Gear wrote:

> I've heard these and many others--but never from anyone who knew anyone
> involved or who could provide documentation. Just like I've heard the
> Neiman-Marcus $250 cookie recipe, alligators in the sewers, and microwaved
> puppies. I would certainly like to read the decision regarding the guy who
> ran in the refrigerator race. I'd bet a cookie that there's more than we're
> hearing about.

It was a cat, not puppies. Some kids brought it in out of the rain and
were trying to dry it off. I know. A guy told me.

Not to dilute your argument, though, which I find very reasonable.
However, I still have the feeling our judicial system has gone off the
rails in damage awards, and that this has had a strong detrimental effect
on our society. It seems to be a truism that you don't get rich by
working; you win the lottery or you sue a big company.

I know this is illogical, but it is a popular wisdom nonetheless. Why?
Because the courts allow such huge awards. And you better believe that
large corporations - like my employer - take this very seriously when
determining whether or not what I write might lead to a suit.

|George Allaman | |
|Tech Writer | <clever, meaningful |
|Denver, Colorado | quip which somehow |
|Office (303) 624-1619 | summarizes my life |
|Home (303) 771-8060 | philosophy> |
|Alternate: georgea -at- csn -dot- net | |