Re: Comma splices

Subject: Re: Comma splices
From: Tammy Sudol <tammy -at- ZEUS -dot- ATS -dot- QC -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 09:28:42 EDT-500

On 5 Jan 96 at 20:46, Gary Merrill wrote:

> I note what
> I regard as s disturbing trend in regarding constructions with comma
> splices as
> grammatically
> acceptable. I wonder how far this has gone, and what your feelings
> are about this.

My job includes editing documents for the company. This action
includes all documents, even those written by non-techwriters.
Personally, I feel that you are too harsh in your standards for
commas.

Yes, in a perfect world, many commas in documents could be omitted or
added, but as long as the sentence makes sense, I go easy on the red
pen. I've found that you can make many enemies by being too picky.
The trick is to find the balance.

P.S. You may not like my comma placement, but I think you understand
exactly what I'm trying to say. ; )

Tammy Sudol
Documentation & Technical Writing
ATS Aerospace Inc.