Re: Comma splices

Subject: Re: Comma splices
From: "Brad Barnes (T)" <blb -at- FORMTEK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 13:22:31 -0500

> Well, we all know that comma splices are bad, right? Perhaps not. Or
> perhaps it is not clear what counts as a comma splice. I note what I regard
> as s disturbing trend in regarding constructions with comma splices as
> grammatically
> acceptable. I wonder how far this has gone, and what your feelings are about
> this. Consider ...

<snip>
I believe that likewise,

> First select "Edit", and then "Cut".

> is okay.

<snip>

Why even put a comma in the example above? You have two objects sharing one
verb.

When I get confused about commas, I reduce the sentence to its basic elements
before I analyse it. I remove any adjectives, adverbs, and prepositional
phrases, for example:

Select Edit and Cut.

Clearly, no commas are needed here. Why would commas belong in the example
above?

Brad Barnes
Technical Writer