Converting Windows Help Files to OS/2 -Reply

Subject: Converting Windows Help Files to OS/2 -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 08:46:51 -0800

For anyone who wants to convert Windows Help files to OS/2 IPF files,
a couple of thoughts.

1. I have no experience with any software program that claims to do
the job. The only trick I have come up with (thanks to a young guy
out of UCSD who recently joined our staff -- he sort of shamed me
into it) is to develop a glossary in Word. I now have glossary items
for ordered lists, simple lists, links, notices, and everything else
in the OS/2 arsenal. All I have to do is call up a glossary entry
and out comes the codes, beginning and ending. I merely put my
cursor in the right place and type or insert as necessary. If you
wanted to, you could create a Word template for this.

2. My other thought is to suggest you (whoever you are) try to think
of typing all of those IPF codes and trying to remember things like
where the periods go in the code line as something that is mildly
therapeutic, like washing dishes by hand.

Bill Sullivan]
bsullivan -at- deltecpower -dot- com

>>> Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG> - 1/7/96 8:11 AM

Hello Brett,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Brett -dot- Peruzzi -at- fdc-invest -dot- com an All
am 04.01.9

BB> From: Brett -dot- Peruzzi -at- fdc-invest -dot- com

BB> What are people out there using to convert Windows Help files
BB> to OS/2?

You should compare the possibilities of OS/2 help and Winhelp. You
will find
that OS/2 help (IPF) is quite limited compared to Winhelp, e.g. in
the
typographical fields. The most important extension OS/2 help had
over Winhelp
3.1 was the full-text search capability but that has been added to
Winhelp 4
(for Win95).

Even if you should manage to find conversion tools you would have to
cope with
some conceptual differences.

BTW: Last year at CeBIT I searched the IBM OS/2 booth about someone
who could
tell me about a few good authoring tools for OS/2 help. The most
constructive
answer I got: "Good question..."

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander