PostScript screen images & printing problem

Subject: PostScript screen images & printing problem
From: Brian Neuhauser <0007021835 -at- MCIMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 13:10:00 EST

I'm hoping one of you has documented a DECwindows-based system
and has seen this before.

Scenario: We're capturing DECwindow-based screen images from a
VAXstation and sending the files to a PC. We then include the
images in documents developed in Frame, Word, et al.

Everything runs smoothly until time to print the documents on a
PostScript-compatible printer. The only PS printer that
successfully prints the documents is one manufactured by DEC.
(Others print all pages up to the first imported image and then
abort.)

Hypothesis: My guess is there's something proprietary about what
I'll call "DEC PostScript." We take the captures through a
DECwindows application called Print Screen; it has only three
output formats: PostScript, Sixel, and DDIF. Sixel and DDIF are
proprietary formats, so PostScript is our only alternative
because we need to place the images in non-DEC, PC documents.

Does anyone know how to get these files to print on non-DEC
PostScript printers? Any suggestions or leads would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian Neuhauser
MCI

bneuhauser -at- mcimail -dot- com