Re: Testing: how long is too long?

Subject: Re: Testing: how long is too long?
From: Kirstin Mercer <kirstin -at- INTERCON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 10:15:11 -0400

Beryl Doane wrote:

Pre-employment tests can be illegal in the US. The tests have to be designed
to "fairly" evaluate all candidates, without discriminating against any
applicant. I'm not in HR and I don't know the official language for the
restrictions. My company does NOT use writing or editing tests for fear of
being sued.

Can anyone out there comment on the legal issues?

I'm not pretending to be an expert on the subject, but here's
how we dealt with the legal issues... we gave copies of our
tests to our legal department and had the lawyers review
the tests and our testing process. They said it was fine, so
we continue to use that process.

Kirstin