Converting Windows Help Files to OS/2

Subject: Converting Windows Help Files to OS/2
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 11:36:01 +0100

Hello Michael,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Michael Priestley an All am 09.01.96

MP> From: Michael Priestley <mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com>

MP> Bad answer. IPF Editor from Perez and HyperWise from IBM are
MP> the two I know
MP> about off-hand. Though to be honest, I think it's easier to
MP> tag them by hand.

with other words: considering the IPF compiler as something like an assembler,
you must write OS/2 help on an abstraction level like PC programs were written
some 20 years ago.

MP> >You will find
MP> >that OS/2 help (IPF) is quite limited compared to Winhelp,
MP> e.g. in the
MP> >typographical fields.
MP>
MP> This comes as a bit of a surprise. In addition to the search,
MP> IPF has:

OK, I was exposed to Winhelp mostly and when I worked for a customer who
developed a OS/2 application, I felt like in a straight-jacket. The extensions
you mention show that IBM still is a mainframe company: Many ways for
programmers so go crazy, hardly any consideration of user needs.

Try to change fonts or use colored text in OS/2 help. The concepts you mention
are quite complex and surely too complex for normal users without programming
experience.

I am sure we can agree on at least one point: Mapping the Winhelp features to
the features of OS/2 help or vice versa can have only limited success.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander