Large numbers, Brit and Yank style

Subject: Large numbers, Brit and Yank style
From: Stan Brown <stbrown -at- NACS -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 23:15:23 -0500

The recent terabyte discussion reminded me of a question I've
been meaning to ask:

In older British usage, a billion was sometimes a million million
rather than a thousand million.

Is that still true, so that the word "billion" may mean different
things to different readers? If so, how do you deal with large
numbers in materials to be used in different English-speaking
countries?

If you wish, reply directly to me (to reduce list traffic) and
I'll post a summary.

Regards,
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems Cleveland, Ohio USA +1 216 371-0043
email: stbrown -at- nacs -dot- net Web: http://www.nacs.net/~stbrown