Re: One document for both training and reference

Subject: Re: One document for both training and reference
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- GALAXY -dot- GALSTAR -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 06:52:24 -0600

> >Our technical writing department has been asked to investigate the
> >possibility of producing one document that meets training and reference
I'd love to get some input on this one. We're doing just that
(out of time constraints rather than anything else, at least
at this point), but I'm not convinced it will work.
We've got a new product (internal for now, external in about
6 months) and created a "User's Guide" that's structured
as a tutorial and functions as a training guide/supplement.
You have to work through it sequentially to get the full
impact, but it can, in a pinch, act as a user's guide. It's
got a glossary and full index, so it will work to an extent
as a reference.
I'm just joining this project, and I'm trying to figure out
how to keep the document together, add material, and not
reduce the usability on any count.

Comments would be welcome!
Eric

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- galstar -dot- com