One document for both training and reference

Subject: One document for both training and reference
From: David Fisher <DAF -dot- DSKPO27B -at- DSKBGW1 -dot- ITG -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 08:30:11 CST

Julie Tollefson wrote:

>Our technical writing department has been asked to investigate the
>possibility of producing one document that meets training and reference
>needs. By doing this, we would be able to eliminate duplication of effort
>between our department and our training department. We would like to know
>whether others have taken this approach and, if so, whether they feel it has
>been successful. If it has been successful, how have they measured that
>success? Any information or anecdotes you can provide would be appreciated.

I attended a course called One-stop Documentation that discussed that very
topic. It was offered through the Ziff Institute by the Gottfredson Group. I'll
quote the introduction to let you know what it was all about.

"Upon completion of this seminar, you will walk away with a unique but
powerful view of the role computer documentation can and
should play in the workplace. Specifically, you will learn how the write one
manual
that will serve as reference guide, tutorial, and student manual for
classroom training -- its called One-Stop Documentation!"

This sounds like what you were asking for. We don't use this technique in our
group, but other groups in the company have used it with success.

The address and phone number to contact Dr. Gottfredson are:

The Gottfredson Group
5935 Westfield Rd
Alpine, Utah 84004
(801) 379-3337

Hope this helps,

David Fisher
dfisher2 -at- ti -dot- com

"The opinions expressed herein are mine, all mine."