Moving to Windows 95

Subject: Moving to Windows 95
From: Ron Rothbart <ron -dot- rothbart -at- DOCUMENTUM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 11:39:17 +0800

I'm just about to load Windows 95 (and then Word 7 and RoboHelp 95) and I'm=
=20
confronting the Convert vs. Dual Boot issue.

It appears that I can keep Windows 3.1 and choose to boot up either Windows=
=20
95 or Windows 3.1. However 1) I doubt I will need to use 3.1 and 2)=20
apparently dual boot requires that I re-install my current applications on=
=20
Windows 95 while conversion does not. Reinstalling all my applications=20
sounds like a pain.

I use FrameMaker 5 to produce manuals, but I hear that it works fine on=20
Windows 95. I've been using Collage Capture and Collage Image Manager for=20
screenshots, but I'm thinking of going to PaintShopPro. I need to continue=
=20
to produce WinHelp 3.1 files along with WinHelp 95 files. But, as I=20
understand it, I should be able to run both compilers and produce both=20
Win3.1 and Win95 Help on Windows 95=97as long as I keep Word 6 along with=
Word=20
7. I use eXceed 4 to display the UNIX version of the application that I=20
document and I haven't heard whether this works OK on Windows 95. Other than=
=20
this, it doesn't seem like there's a good reason to go the dual boot route.=
=20

Does all this seem correct? Is there any reason that I should keep Windows=
3.1?

Ron Rothbart
ron -dot- rothbart -at- documentum -dot- com=20

Virtually yours,

Ron -dot- Rothbart -at- documentum -dot- com
Documentum, Inc. \\\\\\
5671 Gibraltar Drive \\\\\
Pleasanton, CA 94588-8547
(510) 463-6920 ////////