Re: Manuals on CD-ROM

Subject: Re: Manuals on CD-ROM
From: Binion Amerson <aba -at- OC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 14:24:48 -0600

Kent:

You wrote:

>Our company is investigating the possibility of distributing our manuals
>on CD-ROM, possibly as an adjunct to paper distribution or possibly (to
>my dismay) as a replacement for the paper distribution.

>Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on the list has had experience with
>this. Is it practical? What are the drawbacks? What should we look for
>in regards to technology? Should we approach it like on-line help with
>hyperlinks, or should we simply set it up like a manual and use a keyword
>search engine? And so on and so on and so on. In other words, I know
>nothing about it and could use all the collective advice and suggestions
>you have.

Last spring, we at OpenConnect Systems were about to spend a bundle to
place our documents on CD-ROM. At the 1995 STC Annual Conference, I
attended sessions on CD-ROM and the WWW. After I returned with new
information just learned, we discussed the entire issue and decided to
convert our documents to PDF files using Acrobat and to distribute them to
our customers using free Acrobat Readers via the WWW. We are Beta Testing
the system using our internal staff and our field offices. If you have
not considered Acrobat, go to http://www.adobe.com for information.

Regards,

Binion Amerson
Director-Sponsor, STC Region 5

Binion Amerson, Senior Technical Writer, OpenConnect Systems, 2711 LBJ,
Suite 800, Dallas, TX 75234, Ph 214/888-0447; Fax 214/484-6100;
E-mail (B): aba -at- oc -dot- com (H): aba -at- unicomp -dot- net STC URL http://stc.org
Director-Sponsor, Society for Technical Communication (STC) Region 5.
URL http://www.daylilies.com/daylilies