Re: Why We Need Good Software Manuals -My Thoughts

Subject: Re: Why We Need Good Software Manuals -My Thoughts
From: Kent Newton <KentN -at- METRIX-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 19:14:00 PST

Good point.

Kent Newton
Senior Technical Writer
Metrix, Inc.
kentn -at- metrix-inc -dot- com

----------
From: Bill Sullivan[SMTP:bsullivan -at- smtplink -dot- deltecpower -dot- com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 1996 4:47 PM
To: TECHWR-L; KentN

I hope the original subject of this string hasn't been changed, but
let me follow on Kent Newton's comment.

>>> Kent Newton <KentN -at- metrix-inc -dot- com> - 1/23/96 12:30 PM >>>
It's a shame when a technical writer won't even read a technical
manual.
Besides learning to use the product, it is good research to see how
other writers solve thorny problems, what new tricks are being used,
and how complex material can be organized. I think it would be a
natural reaction for every tech writer to read (or at least skim) any
documentation he can get his hands on -- especially for the software
he uses.

My thought: Keeping up with our genre these days should also include
using and perusing all of the online help programs, tutorials,
coaches, and wizards you can click your mouse on.