Re: Why We Need Good Software Manuals

Subject: Re: Why We Need Good Software Manuals
From: Bonni Graham <bonnig -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 13:48:03 -0800

Jane Bergen wrote:

><snip>How much
>can you say about a field titled "Last Name" or "City"? It's just
>plain ridiculous.

NOT denying the excellent point Jane made but:

o length of field
o characters allowed
o where else the information may be used
o whether it's required
o whether it's indexed

just to name a few things. Sometimes these things are not obvious and
do matter, especially if a system is, ummmm, not standard (not that
we've EVER had to document something like THAT...). A'course,
sometimes they don't matter, too, but at least it gives you a little
more scope to write than "Type the field name name in the field name
field."

--
Bonni Graham
Manual Labour