a correction and a book recommendation

Subject: a correction and a book recommendation
From: John -dot- Renish -at- CONNER -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 14:24:56 PST

In my recent post concerning SI measurement of torque I erroneously stated
that today is 10 Ramadan in the Hijra calendar. It is, of course, 15 Ramadan
as the full Moon attests.

As a peace offering, I am pleased to recommend:

Author: Glover, Thomas J.
Title: Pocket Ref
ISBN: 0-9622359-0-3
Price: About $6.00 retail (cheaper in bulk from the publisher)
Publisher: Littleton, CO: Sequoia Publishing, Inc.
Ordering info: P.O. Box 620820, Littleton, CO 80162-0820 303.972.4167.
Available in some large hardware stores, also at Fry's Electronics if you
live in Silicon Valley.

Contains almost everything you ever wanted to know about conversion factors,
air and gases, automotive, carpentry and construction, chemistry and physics,
constants, tools, water, surveying and mapping, and a plethora of other
scientific and technical information. Every technical writer can use this
book, and any Tim Allen fan would be delighted to find it in his (or her)
Christmas stocking. The only criticism I have is that it uses the
engineering convention for expressing large numbers rather than the
scientific convention (102.3 x 10^3, rather than 1.023 x 10^5)--but if
you're writing in the engineering field, you'll prefer it.

Also, there's a Pocket Computer Ref, which I have not reviewed--has anybody
on this list checked it out?

John -dot- Renish -at- Conner -dot- com
My comments are my own and do not represent Conner Peripherals