Helpful hint

Subject: Helpful hint
From: "Colleen Dancer (02) 333-1862" <DANCER -dot- COLLEEN -at- A2 -dot- ABC -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 09:41:00 +1100

This is a hint that I thought other techwhirlers might find useful.

We have recently been doing gui design for a project, and the developers
have been having a hard time coming to terms with my insistence that
basically (nearly) everything that can be done with a mouse should also
be able to be done with a keyboard. When questioned, I explained that
many people are keyboard oriented rather than mouse oriented and we
should accommodate both. As all of them were mouse users they were not
convinced. However, and this is the tip, I then suggested that we needed
to accommodate people with RSI or wrist problems and that was a good
reason for needing to allow the keyboard and they accepted that. Note: I
speak on good authority as I have wrist problems and find even an
ergonimic mouse a hassle if doing too much with it. So sometimes if you
can't convince them one way, try another.

Colleen Dancer
dancer -dot- colleen -at- a2 -dot- abc -dot- net -dot- au

THe opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.