Re: The new way to grow (WAS The new way to office)

Subject: Re: The new way to grow (WAS The new way to office)
From: Tom Tadfor Little <tlittle -at- LANL -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 15:00:52 -0700

Consider this: if "grow" can be used transitively in all the
senses and expressions where it can be used intransitively, would
you allow these sentences as good, standard English--

We grew our baby 10 pounds since she was born.

James grew the stack of papers on his desk.

Evelyn grows her story of meeting the president each time she tells.

The post office grew my address when they went to 9-digit zipcodes.

[Each of these has a perfectly natural intransitive counterpart.
These transitive versions sound quite unacceptable to this native
speaker of English.]

Tom Tadfor Little tlittle -at- lanl -dot- gov -or- telp -at- Rt66 -dot- com
technical writer/editor Los Alamos National Laboratory
Telperion Productions http://www.rt66.com/~telp/