Re: Online Documentation Course Material

Subject: Re: Online Documentation Course Material
From: copp <copp -at- FOX -dot- NSTN -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 14:42:27 GMT

Beverly Shafirka <shafirka -at- pangea -dot- ca> wrote:

>I am developing a course for Online Documentation for our local
>community college. I am interested in learning how other courses
>are designed. In particular, how other classes approach the hands-on
>training for this type of course?

>This course is meant to be a general view of online documentation not a
>software training program. I don't want to waste any more class time
>than
>necessary training on the tool.

>I have thought of using HTML or the Win-Help Generator. Both require
>some
>training. Both can be done with some direction, but not a lot of
>knowledge
>about the product.

>Any information would be useful.

>Bev Shafirka
>Technical Writer
>Winnipeg, MB
>Canada

Last year, I took an online documentation course at George Brown
College here in Toronto. You may want to contact them about how the
course was designed and structured. Also, I contributed to the first
totally online course offered by the University of Waterloo (the
course was Technical Writing 210e). The course covered online help,
specifically SGML tagging and coding with conversion to HTML. It may
offer you some more ideas. If you are interested in web sites or
e-mail addresses, e-mail me and I can pass on some names and
addresses.

Stephanie
copp -at- fox -dot- nstn -dot- ca