Re: Voice recognition experiences please

Subject: Re: Voice recognition experiences please
From: Tommy Trussell <twt -at- CEI -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 11:16:02 -0600

In article <1996FEB17 -dot- 2904 -at- cerebus -dot- ozemail -dot- com -dot- au>, SANDRA CHARKER
<scharker -at- ozemail -dot- com -dot- au> wrote:

>Is anyone out there dictating their deathless prose instead of typing it?
>I'm getting a new notebook computer, with built-in microphone. Is anyone using
>voice recognition software? How do you like it, and how much do you do with it?
>Is it impossibly expensive, or just outrageously?

My Power Mac came with voice recognition software, and I've seen it on
some Windows 95 machines. On the Mac, at least, the tools they give you
essentially allow you to operate the computer (via AppleScript commands)
with phrases you can define. No "Computer, take a letter" on THIS
machine, at least.

I know some systems, such as ones developed by Kurtzweil, allow voice
transcription, but I THINK that requires all the words you use to be in
their dictionary. This is useful in some settings, such as transcriptions
in a medical examiner's lab, but I haven't heard of any writers using
it.... yet!

--Tommy Trussell

TW Technical Services -- 129 Oaklawn Dr., Conway, AR 72032-6701
twt -at- cei -dot- net http://www.cei.net/~twt/ (501) 336-0889 voice