Internships (Part III)

Subject: Internships (Part III)
From: "Dr. James Lenze - Technical Communication" <LENZE -at- LTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 10:34:00 -0500

I am evidently not making myself clear. Please understand that
our program is NOT suggesting that internship providers pay
faculty for intern supervision. It also important for you to
know that most internships occur during the summer. University
faculty are NOT paid during the summer. We sign nine month
contracts. I generally spend my summers working as a consultant.
If I take time away from my consulting practice to supervise
an internship then I believe that I should be compensated for my
services. Since the university is charging the student tuition
for the internship and since the university requires faculty
supervision for internships I believe that faculty should be
paid for their time and efforts by the university.

Question: Do you agree?

Dr. James Lenze, Assistant Professor Internet: LENZE -at- LTU -dot- EDU
Technical Communication Degree Program Phone: (810) 204-3658
Lawrence Technological University FAX: (810) 204-3518
Southfield, MI 48075-1058 Office: M145 (in M139)