re.: tech writing in Europe, Decoding of MIME enclosures

Subject: re.: tech writing in Europe, Decoding of MIME enclosures
From: David Ibbetson <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 14:18:08 -0500

Fionnuala Broughan says:

Note though, that some countries (e.g. Germany and I think U.S.)
insist that you hold only sole citizenship, others (e.g. Canada,
Ireland) allow dual or more.

-------------end of quote--------------------

Countries that have sole citizenship rules find them difficult to enforce.
If I remember correctly the UK requires a formal application to get rid of
UK citizenship. I doubt if the authorities would consider the acquisition of
Ruritanian citizenship to be a good reason for losing UK citizenship.

George I to IV must have had dual Hanoverian/UK citizenship.Various French
kings thought that, as William the Conqueror was French, he should pay
French taxes. William agreed that he was Duke of Normandy, but considered
the tax collector's army to small to be paid.

=================================
Melissa Hunter-Kilmer asks:

Why are the male ancestors particularly helpful in this regard?
-------------------------end of quote------------------------
Because that's the way the rules are still drawn up in many EU countries.
They don't recognise same-sex marriages either.

Having (re)acquired Irish citizenship Melissa can live and work in *any* EU
country. However she may be asked to prove that she isn't a member of the IRA.
My (English) cousin's daughter is teaching technical English in Paris. When
I was in England last spring she phoned her father to ask the names of
various car parts.
Decoding of MIME enclosures.

Peter Ring isn't the only person who can't decode these MIME marvels. I'm
using Eudora Light and I can't either. The help file I downloaded with it
doesn't help. It's only got three topics and this isn't one of them.

David (the MIME-encoded idiot) Ibbetson

David Ibbetson Phone: (416) 363-6692
133 Wilton Street, #506 Fax: (416) 363-4987
Toronto, Ontario Internet: ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com
Canada M5A 4A4