Re: Tech Writing in Europe

Subject: Re: Tech Writing in Europe
From: Krista Van Laan <kvanlaan -at- UNDA -dot- FI>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 16:49:37 +0200

Ron Miller wrote:

> Last year, I responded to an ad for a tech writer with SAP in their German
> office. The ad was placed in one of the STC publications. They gave no
> indication of any citzenship requirements, which you refer to in your e-mail.
> They in fact needed English speakers to help produce documentation.

Yeah, no kidding. The original poster who started this thread was asking
how an American could work in Europe. At some point everyone who participated
in the discussion seemed to assume that it would be necessary to change

You can work in another country and maintain your citizenship. What
you need is a work and residency permit, which can be obtained
by being sponsored by an employer. Occasionally a company will advertise
internationally and then sponsor the applicant.

One point I made earlier was that often many jobs are available but they
are advertised locally. A lot of the people I meet who get these
English-writing jobs are noncitizens married to citizens. So if
you move to a different country and get a visa, you can often find a
job. If you're visiting a country on a tourist visa and you apply
for a job advertised there, you're legally not entitled, but they might
sponsor your work visa and send you back for a couple months while the
papers go through.

Krista Van Laan
kvl -at- unda -dot- fi

Previous by Author: Clickable bitmaps in online help: opinions?
Next by Author: Re: He/she/they/them debate
Previous by Thread: Re: The List's Decline
Next by Thread: Tech Writing in Europe

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads