Re: Which is first: online or paper?

Subject: Re: Which is first: online or paper?
From: Bruce WHITE <WHITE -at- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 21:18:52 UT

Jane,
>>because I believe the online should be much leaner and meaner
>>than paper.

If you mean the writing style, then I agree.
If you mean the total amount of material, I disagree strongly. On-line text
doesn't take up a lot of disk space, you can put lots into it easily and
cheaply.

Hide some if necessary so that the only one who finds it is the person who
needs it. (eg. link to more details but leave "more details" out of the table
of contents).

>>Also, I can't use the same document for printed as for online
>>because I often have to use "keep-with-next" in paragraph
>>formatting, then go hunting to remove it all for Doc-to-help.

Find / replace formatting should work. If the "keep with next" is on the
headings (so that you don't get a heading at the bottom of a page), it should
(I don't use D2H) make that a non-scoll region, automatically......Bruce.....
WinHelp IT Editing
white -at- msn -dot- com
Go WHITEbook on MSN