Re: Distributing Postcript Files for Viewing

Subject: Re: Distributing Postcript Files for Viewing
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 00:15:29 -0400

>Kat Nagel said>
>> Actually, I distributed the locked PostScript files to 2 Mac users, 3 PC
>> users, and 1 UNIX user. The people who had access to FrameMaker (the
>> application I used to create the PostScript files) could open and view the
>> documents on any of the three platforms. The rest had to print them out
>> and do their reviews from hardcopy.

Helen Hegelheimer replied:
>We distribute our docs to the "outside" world using ps files created
>from Frame docs. I've never been able to "open" a ps file and view
>it in Framemaker. Do your customers that are able to "view" the doc
>have FrameViewer also ? Your customers that can "view" the doc based
>on a ps, are they able to edit it ?

The PC folks had to print the document. The Mac folks could view and
print, but not edit. (This was in Frame 3. It only worked with PostScript
files generated and read using the same version of FM.) The UNIX guy
opened and edited the file. He didn't tell me how he did it. Knowing him,
he probably wrote a PS editor to do the job.

@Kat_____ Kat Nagel
MasterWork Consulting Services Rochester, NY
LIFE1 (techwriting/docdesign) katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
LIFE2 (vocal chamber music) PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com