Re: How to edit constructively?

Subject: Re: How to edit constructively?
From: Nancy Hayes <nancyh -at- PMAFIRE -dot- INEL -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 00:02:15 GMT

I also tend to get a little over-enthusiastic in my edits upon
occassion. I think it comes w/ the territory.

RE: Rewriting a writer's work.

If it's a non-writer (someone outside the writing group), I'll rewrite
sections to provide examples. I'll also include the reference to our
style guide and general theory on why something is done a certain way.
MOST of the time this has paid off. It is very time consuming, but it
saves me time in the long run. I've only had one or two cases where the
next document I got from the author wasn't drastically improved. Most
people keep my monster edits as a sample, and don't make the same mistakes
the next time.

Now I just need to learn how to keep my very first edits out of the
victim's line-of-sight. My first edit is usually MUCH more
diplomatically phrased by the time the author sees it. I find it good stress
relief, but it's wicked embarassing when an author gets a hold of it.

Nancy Lynn Hayes (nancyh -at- pmafire -dot- inel -dot- gov) Carpe Diem
Seize the Day!