Request for Information

Subject: Request for Information
From: "Daniel E. Wise" <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 20:20:09 -0800

Fellow communicators and teachers of communicators:

I am in the process of writing a paper that I hope to have ready for
the 1996 PCOC in November and maybe a future STC Annual Conference.
But I need some help from my colleagues. The information I would enjoy
having is detailed below. Please feel free to comment at any length
you desire.

I would be overjoyed to have precise figures if the information is
readily available. Otherwise, an educated estimate will do; I do not
want anyone to have to expend a lot of time and energy. Schools and
individuals will not be identified in the paper other than in a
bibliography as a source of information, unless you give permission. I
plan to use only summary data in text.

If you are not involved in a school's freshman English program, please
pass this along to anyone of your acquaintance who is.

Please e-mail your response to me at dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com or send snail
mail to
1120 Columbiana Road
Homewood, AL 35209-7017
And please identify your school for my records so I don't count the
same school twice.

I appreciate your help. If you like, I will send you a copy of the
paper once it has been accepted for presentation.

Daniel E. Wise
Wise Words

Since I work for myself, I have no one else to speak for.

The information:

Do you use ACT/SAT scores as the primary criterion for judging language
skills?

Do you administer an English placement exam when ACT/SAT scores are
marginal or worse?

What percentage of your incoming freshmen require English remediation?

What percentage are deficient in the basics of grammar, syntax, etc.?

What percentage lack satisfactory cognitive skills?

Have these percentages changed significantly over the last 5-10 years?

Comments on preparedness of incoming freshmen.

Comments on teaching English and how it might be improved/changed.