Interest and Learning --> Higher Salaries

Subject: Interest and Learning --> Higher Salaries
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <uhl -at- VISLAB -dot- EPA -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 11:22:26 -0800

Fellow TECHWR-Lers:

I recently informed a fellow STC chapter leader that I am
attempting to co-author a paper with a colleague at IBM for
the Fall issue of the STC Technical Communication journal.
They asked me, "Why, on top of two jobs, the chapter newsletter,
and a family, would you want to take on such a paper?" I told
them that I love writing and don't get to do much of it in my
job. THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS, MY TITLE IS "LEAD TECHNICAL WRITER"
AND I GET PAID A VERY GOOD SALARY; BUT I DON'T DO MUCH WRITING.
I told this fellow STC chapter leader that I'm more of a
technologist: I study how to apply communication tools to the
need for communication between us and our customers and among the
customers themselves.

The modern technical communicator is much less a writer and much
more a consultant specializing in the application of technology
to communication needs and challenges.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. One reason I feel this way, is
that this need for the communication technologist has boosted our
worth and our salaries. Now, don't misunderstand me: I'm not saying
that a technologist is worth more than a good writer. But the
people who write the checks often feel like they're getting more
for their money if the good-to-excellent writer can also learn and
adapt the new technologies.

As a modern technical communicator who loves to write, I must seek
to satisfy that passion on my own initiative. My employer encourages
me only to make the client happy, and that rarely involves quality
writing. "Press this key." and "Select xyz option." don't qualify,
in my thinking, as challenging writing. As these imperative statements
fit into the bigger scheme of things, I see technical *communication*,
but the writing itself leaves something to be desired.

-Mike

--

Michael Andrew Uhl, Lead Technical Writer (uhl -at- vislab -dot- epa -dot- gov)
Lockheed Martin, Primary Support Contractor to US EPA