Re: Evolving language or laziness?

Subject: Re: Evolving language or laziness?
From: Janet Valade <jvalade -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 15:18:59 -0800

>Writing shouldn't call attention to itself. But using "them" with a singular
>antecedent, or using a paragraph full of wordy "he or she" references (or
>worse, "s/he"), is distracting. I want my readers thinking of the subject
>matter, not my personal point of view.

As a female reader, I find it distracting to be referred to as "he". My
self-image does not include "he" at all.

But I continue to not understand why this seems to be so major for some people.
It seems to me to be a rare occasion when rearranging the sentence into some
grammatically correct shape that does not include "he" takes longer than a few
seconds.

Janet
jvalade -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com