Lets take a poll - was Re: Gender bias (was Evolving language or laziness)

Subject: Lets take a poll - was Re: Gender bias (was Evolving language or laziness)
From: Rebecca Filardo <filardo -at- INTUITIVE -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 08:47:01 +0000

He/she/they/it

It seems that often - although not always - it is the male techwrs
who are in favour of the old fashioned use - for all the good reasons
that have been given - and the females who are in favour of gender
neutral prononouns (when, hey, they could propose the feminine
pronoun to become the standard)

I'd be curious to know whether this is the case. If it is, then we
might find that what we are trying to present as learned debate is
actually expression of emotions (fear and frustration?)
from both sides. Then we could
argue about something completely different - like how difficult it
can be for people of either sex to feel comfortable in the 20th
Century climate of ever-changing gender roles - and then everybody could
try and understand eachother and love eachother and stuff (except of
course for those who wanted to say 'I don't have a problem. YOU do.'
Yeah.
That's my love'n'peace statement for today.

Anyway, if you'd like to participate in a quick poll, just email me
with your gender and your pronoun preferences - unless
someone else has done this recently, in which case, please direct me
to the results.

Thank you.

--
Rebecca Filardo /\_/\ phone: +44 (0) 1438 317966