Re: English and Formality for Tech Docs in Non-North American Markets

Subject: Re: English and Formality for Tech Docs in Non-North American Markets
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 07:43:32 -0800

>A year or so ago (as a freelancer) I entered the international market and
>discovered that the level of formality considered appropriate for procedures
>and other technical documents appears to vary from country to country.

I recently attended the awards ceremony for the Northern California
Technical Communication Competition. The keynote speaker was Nancy Hoff.

She started from the competition's printed judging criteria, then took us on
a brief trip around the world, showing how those criteria fared in other
places. Very interesting. ...RM

Richard Mateosian Freelance Technical Writer
srm -at- c2 -dot- org Copyright 1996 Review Editor, IEEE Micro
http://www.c2.org/~srm/ All rights reserved President, Berkeley STC