education and the profession

Subject: education and the profession
From: Judith Rosenberg <com427 -at- CLC -dot- CC -dot- IL -dot- US>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 15:29:52 CST

From: Self <ISC02/COM427>
To: techwr-l -at- vm1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu
Send reply to: JROSENB -at- clc -dot- cc -dot- il -dot- us
Date sent: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 16:22:48 CST

Send reply to: JROSENB -at- clc -dot- cc -dot- il -dot- us
Date sent: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 16:10:00 CST

Hello!
I am evaluating a Technical Communication Degree Program at the
College of Lake County. We are a small program offering a two year
A.A.S. degree and a one year certificate. We have graduated about 40
students over the past fifteen years; most have found
employment as technical writers.

Please take a few minutes to reply to these three questions, which may
help us to determine the continued need for such a program.

1. Do you see growth in the need for technical writers over the next
five years?

2. In your experience, is there a need for academic programs to train
students in technical writing?

3. What are the subjects that should be stressed in an
academic/career program in Technical Communication? (Example: clear,
concise writing; document design; audience analysis; online
publishing; computer technology, etc.)

Thank you for your time and effort in responding to this survey. If
you have any other advice or suggestions, I would welcome these.

Sincerely,
Dr. Judy Rosenberg
Coordinator
Technical Communication Program