Re. Quick and dirty indexes

Subject: Re. Quick and dirty indexes
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 13:38:39 -0600

Henry Friedman asked for recommendations for software that
can create a "quick and dirty" index for a software manual.
Henry, on behalf of your users, let me say: "Don't do it!"
Products do exist for this purpose, including the built-in
indexing function in most word processors, but none of them
takes the place of a human indexer who cares about the user
of the index.

You can create a quick and dirty index completely unaided
just by skimming the text yourself and coming up with two
keywords per page, but I bet your users won't love you for
it. A good index takes time and consideration of the needs
of your users. You can't find that in any software.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of our
reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.