REs: Full text searches

Subject: REs: Full text searches
From: David Ibbetson <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 13:09:36 -0500

Whether I'm using a printed index or an electronic search engine I run into
a vocabulary problem.

I think in British English, while most software, and its manuals, emanates
from the USA. I'd hate to count the times I've searched under what, to me,
is the natural term, found nothing and guessed what the manual writer has
called the topic. I've no examples ready to hand, but I expect US readers
can remember examples in non-US-documented programs that they've used.

Equally, I've had occasions when my British English has been a nonsense to
North Americans.

David (the idiot) Ibbetson

David Ibbetson Phone: (416) 363-6692
133 Wilton Street, #506 Fax: (416) 363-4987
Toronto, Ontario Internet: ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com
Canada M5A 4A4