Re: rodent alternatives

Subject: Re: rodent alternatives
From: Jack Shaw <jsh -at- SOFTWARE-AG -dot- DE>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 16:18:05 -0800

Kathleen,

I have had RSI (repetitive strain injury) symptomes for some
time now, and I found that it improved things greatly to do
two things:

1. Use a keyboard pad of *tough, heavy* material (the majority
that I see are flimsey and don't stay put).

2. I personally switched to an "industrial-strength" trackball.
It has a billiard ball weight with inertia in a heavy housing
surrounded by three clickable buttons. I'm a leftie, but I
don't think that matters, since these things have switcheable
button patterns (so do Windows and most other systems). But
I find it much preferable to the conventional mouse.

Another suggestion would be, investigate how much of your aggravation
comes from keyboard vs. mouse use, and then compensate. I understand
that someone has invented a "rat" (foot-conrolled pointer device)
that replaces the need for a mouse...finally!

Regards,

Jack Shaw
Darmstadt, Germany