Screen Captures in a Document

Subject: Screen Captures in a Document
From: Sue Ellen Adkins <sea -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 12:23:35 -0800

I'm receiving conflicting advice about including screen captures in a
document and would like comments from list members. Here are the basics:
* width of a graphic must be 4.25 inches or less.
* color screens are displayed as black and white.
* most captures are 2/3 or less of the full screen.
* some captures are of the full screen.

One technique makes the full-screen capture 4.25 inches wide. Captures of
regions of the screen would maintain the proportional relationship to the
full-screen capture. Ideally, all of the region captures could be cut out
(with scissors) and placed in their proper locations on the graphic of
the full-screen capture. This technique maintains the relationships
between the components.

The second technique keeps the width of the full-screen capture at 4.25
inches. The maximum width for region caputures is 3.75 inches;
proportions are maintained to avoid distortion. The writer considers the
legibility and importance of the capture when determining its size. This
technique emphasizes readability.

Comments? Which technique do you use? Is there another way of doing it?
If you repond privately to me, I'll post a summary of the responses.

Sue Ellen Adkins
Adkins Associates
sea -at- netcom -dot- com