Re: British English in _tech writing_ (#19924)

Subject: Re: British English in _tech writing_ (#19924)
From: DFIERRO <DFIERRO -at- LANIER -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 09:28:42 EST

>The differences between "hood" and "bonnet" may be irrelevant in
>software documentation, but I doubt such issues would be considered
>irrelevant to technical writers in the automotive industry.

YES! YES! YES! and HOORAY!

I once started an International Communication presentation with "This
presentation will not explain to you how to translate that latest 500
page software user guide into French, German, and Japanese."

Three people got up and left.

I did a consultant stint once for a non-profit company that trained
mentally challenged individuals for entry into the workplace and
everyday life. The trainers, who held college degrees and
certificates relevant to their field, considered their work very
technical.

As I dig deeper into my thesis research on International Technical
Communication, I find that computer hardware and software technology,
while very important to internet communication, makes up a tiny amount
of the actual TECHNICAL INFORMATION that is transferred using that
computer hardware and software.

I hate long posts, so I'll stop here.

Dan Fierro
dfierro -at- lanier -dot- com