survey on STC code of conduct

Subject: survey on STC code of conduct
From: Dennis Meier <boisemeier -at- EXECU -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 11:35:15 MDT

I am conducting a survey on STC's recently revised code of conduct. If you
are willing to participate, please copy the following survey, indicate your

Feedback will be apprediated, but nobody will be quoted without permission.
I intend to include the results in an article I am preparing for submission
to Technical Communication.

Thanks,
Dennis Meier
Boise, Idaho

Dear member of STC,
I am surveying opinions on the recent change in the STC code of conduct.
I would like to have your thoughts on the following:

1 The STC Code for Communicators replaces the STC Ethical Guidelines. Were
you aware of this change? Yes ___ No ___

2 Unlike the Code for Communicators, which uses a 'bridge' metaphor to
described technical communication, the Ethical Guidelines does not attempt
to define the profession. How do you feel about this omission of a metaphor?

(The following statements come from the STC Ethical Guidelines. Please
indicate the degree to which you either agree or disagree with each
statement by deleting everything except the most appropriate response on the
scale immediately following each statement.)

1. 'We seek to promote the public good in our activities.'
Strongly Agree Somewhat Neither Agree Disagree Somewhat Strongly
Agree Agree nor Disagree Disagree Disagree

2. 'We ensure that all terms of our contractual agreements are consistent
with the STC Ethical Guidelines.'
Strongly Agree Somewhat Neither Agree Disagree Somewhat Strongly
Agree Agree nor Disagree Disagree Disagree

3. 'We dedicate ourselves to conciseness, clarity, coherence, and creativity.'
Strongly Agree Somewhat Neither Agree Disagree Somewhat Strongly
Agree Agree nor Disagree Disagree Disagree

4. 'We serve the business interests of our clients and employers, as long as
such loyalty does not require us to violate the public good.'
Strongly Agree Somewhat Neither Agree Disagree Somewhat Strongly
Agree Agree nor Disagree Disagree Disagree

5. (The following statement refers to using another person's work) 'In
cases where individuals are credited, we attribute authorship only to those
who have made an original, substantive contribution.'
Strongly Agree Somewhat Neither Agree Disagree Somewhat Strongly
Agree Agree nor Disagree Disagree Disagree
Dennis Meier
9979 W Edna
Boise Idaho 83704
208-377-1427