[no subject]

From: scot <scot -at- HCI -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 12:32:50 +1000

>For peoples interest. Within Australia, if you purchase a software
>package and it does not do the job the sales assistant tell you, you are
>entitled to a refund. Although all software sellers tell you no refunds
>unless goods are faulty, this is not true. I have successfully demanded
>my money back after I had installed the software because it did not do
>what the sales asssistant had said. (Yes I deleted the software :) )

>YOu do have to fight to get the refund, but the magic words Consumer
>Affairs make a big difference. I also believe that we need some sort of
>software liability. (Although that becomes a minefield)

You'd have to ask a specific question though, like "does Word make my
coffee" and there's all the problems of my word against your word if the
sales assitant disputes it. Its also the _retailers_ responsibility, not the
manufacturers.

Aditionally, warranties are also _forever_, i..e if it breaks down due to
manufacturing defect 13 months after you buy it, its still 'warranty',
apparently the relevant legislation makes no reference to time periods. I
was told all this when working in the service and support dept. of an
electronic musical instrument manufacturing company, we were told, if the
customer _insists_, do it for free unless its obvious accidental damage or
wear and tear. However, I am not sure if the legislation still exists in
that form (it was some years ago).

ciao

#include witty.quote.here. HCI Consulting, Sydney, AU
#include std.disclaimer. http://www.hci.com.au/