Re: Sun workstation mouse problems

Subject: Re: Sun workstation mouse problems
From: "Pickett-Harner, Molly" <mop1 -at- NIORDS1 -dot- EM -dot- CDC -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 13:45:00 EST

Lets get optical mice!
xo

(Send "Stop" command if you're not interested in these messages.)
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Date: Tuesday, April 02, 1996 11:00AM

Laura Myott responded to my positive commments about the optical
mouse :-)

> I agree there are problems with a regular mouse also. However, my main
> complaint with Sun's optical mouse is the fact that on-screen cursor
> movement is severely reduced if the darn mouse and special mouse pad
aren't
> lined up perfectly. To get maximum cursor movement, the sides of the
mouse
> must be parallel with the sides of the mouse pad and perpendicular with
the
> top and bottom ends.

Yes, this is true and frustrating. However, I found that after
getting used to how the optical mouse works, the position of
the mouse or the pad was never a problem *as long as I was at
my own computer.* If I was at another person's machine to show
them something (or whatever), I may be standing or sitting off
to one side; trying to use the mouse in that situation was
quite the challenge!

As a quick test, I just now rotated my mouse pad 90 degrees to
see if the mouse would still work properly. The horizontal
movement seemed normal, but vertical movement was almost
nonexistent.

> I also discovered (after thinking a mouse was broken)
> that sun has two different optical "mice." If you use the new optical
mouse
> with an older mouse pad, the cursor will barely move because of the
difference
> in the grids on the new and old mouse pads.

Hmm.. I didn't know that. If the mouse pad was rotated--as in
my quick test, above--you would achieve the same effect. Maybe
this was the problem?? Otherwise, I wonder if my PC mouse pad
will work with my Sun mouse, and vice versa. I'm gonna try it!
(Both are manufactured by Mouse Systems.)

Beverly Parks -- bparks -at- huachuca-emh2 -dot- army -dot- mil
The opinions expressed are my own.