Interleaf and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Subject: Interleaf and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
From: rjl -at- BOSTECH -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 16:46:56 EST

One more piece of info about RSI/carpel tunnel, and it was inspired by
David Blyth. He noted that during a particularly severe case, he had
arm -and- shoulder troubles. One of the cures:

>The most surprising item to me - as you can guess - was changing the
>position in which I sleep. But I eventually realized that I was using
>my right arm to support weight while I slept.

I had a similar experience a few years back, and the cure was equally
strange. There were shoulder pains that felt as though they were the result
of my right shoulder actually being twisted backwards.

To make a long story short, it took me months to figure out that it was
the gym bag I carried over my shoulder. It was a cheap bag with very
short straps, no long shoulder straps. I'd been sticking my arm through the
handles, and shoving the bag all the way up my arm (so that it was slung
somewhat like a rifle over my shoulder).

I got a better bag with a regular shoulder strap, the problem went away.

Moral: consider -everything- that might be affecting your arms and hands.
Wristwatch, shoulder bag, bracelets, you name it. They all may contribute
to your pain, in some form.

Rick Lippincott
Boston Technology
Wakefield, MA