Re: Windows terminology - tabs?

Subject: Re: Windows terminology - tabs?
From: Sarah Lee Bihlmayer <tecscrib -at- SIRIUS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 10:13:17 -0700

Chris Hulin writes:

>Thanks for all the responses telling me that the tab things are called tabs.
>So what do you call the key that lets you move from field to field in Windows?

>It seems to me that the visual metaphor is perfect <snip>
>and intuitive, but the name is not at all.

This has always bothered me too. Ah, the English language, she is so
clear...yes, it is true, the Tab key lets you move from field to field. I
guess Microsoft derives its logic from the use of the word tab as a
descriptor for divisions in a filing system/card file or notebook. (And
also I hate it when an entire row moves to the front after you select just
one of its tabs.)

|"God is in the details." --Frank Lloyd Wright|
| Sarah Lee Bihlmayer * Print/Online/WWW Documentation Specialist |
| Technical Writing * Technical/Developmental/Copy/Production Editing |
|Indexing * Technical Illustration * Electronic Prepress * Graphic Design |
|POB 27901-312 San Francisco CA 94127 * 415-207-4046 * tecscrib -at- sirius -dot- com|

Previous by Author: Re: Seattle conf. get-together--misquote alert
Next by Author: Re: A Preponderance of Females
Previous by Thread: Re: Windows terminology - tabs?
Next by Thread: Re: Windows terminology - tabs?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads