Re: windows terminology

Subject: Re: windows terminology
From: "W. Michaels" <wm -at- TELEPORT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 10:42:21 -0700

Susan Self wrote:
>Several answers were that they are just called "tabs". However, this
>answer does not describe the collection of tabs as a whole.

>KL Group has a Motif-based XRT/gear widget set that includes a
>Tab Manager with Tab Buttons that emulates the Windows "file-tab
>window." In their documentation, KL Group calls the composite
>a "tabbed dialog," which I find a rather appealing term.
>So, if the Windows documentation does not have a term to describe
>the composite, why not use "tabbed dialog" and set a trend?

Interesting thread. I am trying to document a project with one of
these tab-thingie's too. The lone tab box in my current project is
titled "Maintenance" and I refer to it as the Maintenance box
(nothing sounds better so far). I could live with "the Maintenance
file-tab box" if that was the standard, but "the Maintenance
tabbed dialog" ... Nope. Can't do it. I noticed in Word 7 help, the
instructions for getting to the Tools/Options tab box avoids
calling it anything, something like: "From Tools, click Options,
then click View" That's fine for a user like myself, but I need to
break it down a lot more for my audience (non-computer users).

I use "the <PageName> tab" when instructing the user to
select one, but each "page"? the user tabs to is really a
mini-dialog box? What are we calling these?

Wendy Michaels <wm -at- teleport -dot- com>
Michaels Documentation Services

Previous by Author: Pan and urgent messages
Next by Author: Discussion: Certification vs. Guild
Previous by Thread: Re: Windows Terminology
Next by Thread: FW: windows terminology

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads