Re: windows terminology

Subject: Re: windows terminology
From: Kent Newton <KentN -at- METRIX-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 16:00:00 PDT

On Friday, April 12, 1996 10:42 AM, Wendy Michaels wrote:
>Interesting thread. I am trying to document a project with one of
>these tab-thingie's too. The lone tab box in my current project is
>titled "Maintenance" and I refer to it as the Maintenance box
>(nothing sounds better so far). I could live with "the Maintenance
>file-tab box" if that was the standard, but "the Maintenance
>tabbed dialog" ... Nope. Can't do it. I noticed in Word 7 help, the
>instructions for getting to the Tools/Options tab box avoids
>calling it anything, something like: "From Tools, click Options,
>then click View" That's fine for a user like myself, but I need to
>break it down a lot more for my audience (non-computer users).

>I use "the <PageName> tab" when instructing the user to
>select one, but each "page"? the user tabs to is really a
>mini-dialog box? What are we calling these?

When I document the page that is displayed by clicking on a "tab," I
extend the tab metaphor and refer to the page as the "<PageName> folder."
Not the most elegant solution, but I think it works.

Kent Newton
Senior Technical Writer
Metrix, Inc.
kentn -at- metrix-inc -dot- com

Previous by Author: Re: A Preponderance of Females
Next by Author: Re: windows terminology
Previous by Thread: FW: windows terminology
Next by Thread: Re: Windows terminology

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads