Common Courtesy & Copyright Law

Subject: Common Courtesy & Copyright Law
From: "Daniel E. Wise" <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 21:30:17 -0700

Colleagues,

Common courtesy demands (yes DEMANDS) that you notify the author of an
article, anecdote, etc. of your intentions. I personally believe that
some form of credit, even if only a group mention at the end of the
article, should be given.

As for copyright law, I am not sure. I *believe* anything posted to
the Net is in the public domain. That is, it is fair game for any and
all. I have seen acid comments elsewhere about items being picked up,
altered superficially, and reposted as original material by the
plagarist.

Consider for a moment the issue of shareware. Where does is say that
you are REQUIRED to pay for shareware. Common courtesy prevails. If
you load it, use it, and like it, you are supposed to pay for it. Some
do and some are less honorable.

Same goes for written material posted to techwr-l. I doubt that you
could win a copyright case unless you post a copyright with your
material. Common courtesy should prevail.

Dan Wise
dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com

These opinions, as always, are mine and mine alone (who'd want them?)