Re: Internships

Subject: Re: Internships
From: Mercedes Abels <maa5906 -at- GRIFFON -dot- MWSC -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 07:27:23 -0500

On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, Lori Lathrop wrote:

> All -- I've been passing myself coming & going lately (delivering indexing
> workshops), and I'm just now trying to catch up on e-mail, TECHWR-L digests,
> etc. After reading a couple of postings about internships, I would like to hear
> from you (1) if you are an employer who has provided opportunities for interns
> or (2) if you have worked as an intern.
(snip)

> While she's working as my intern/assistant this Summer, I plan to do a lot of
> one-on-one mentoring so she can acquire some professional indexing skills,
> become proficient in using CINDEX, and conform to clients' guidelines. I can't
> pay her for her time during these mentoring sessions; after all, that's
> non-billable time for me. However, I will pay her a reasonable per-page rate as
> a subcontractor for all the indexing work she does (on some projects that will
> look *very* good on her resume).

> And, finally, my question .... How does this arrangement compare to most
> internship agreements?

I've been an intern for two organizations. This isn't too bad a deal.
Both of my internships paid an hourly wage for all time I spent working
(including training time) but neither one sent me to training seminars,
so that may even out. I always paid my own class fees, but figured that
evened out because of the hourly pay. Both times I was working for an
organization thatpaid all its employees by the hour or on salary basis.

I'd say that as long as you are satisfied and she is satisfied, you have
a good deal.

Marci Abels
maa5906 -at- griffon -dot- mwsc -dot- edu

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net