DTP and Writing

Subject: DTP and Writing
From: Melonie Holliman <mrh -at- ABMDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 08:38:38 +0000

Hello, everyone:

I was very bothered after reading Bernie's
survey results. I understand that some of
you would like to be left to writing only
and no DTP, but is it realistic to think
this will not make you less marketable?
I have felt a little, well, contempt from
some of the writers who do not do DTP. This
bothers me.

I worked for a company where we had a
whole department just for DTP. It was
nice, though it tended to slow down the
process significantly. The writers started
picking up DTP, leaving the more advanced
problems to the DTPers. That worked even better,
but this was a BIG company.

I left and came to a very small company. This
company can not afford, nor does it need, a
DTPer and a writer (they can barely keep me
busy doing it all). I would NEVER have been
considered for the position if I could not
wear alot of different hats (which I like
doing by the way; I get bored easily).

I realize being required to DTP is frustrating
to some good writers. Some people are good at
DTP and are terrible writers.

If you like writing only, write only. But
realize, the more skills you have the more
marketable you are. Limit yourself and
you will be limited in your choices.

Anyway, what is my point? I think DTP, like
editing and layout, is a part of our
industry. It is nice to have experts, but
it is not reasonable to think we will not
cross those lines on a regular basis. I
hate to think I am less of a writer because
I am good at DTP.

I hope this list will continue to address
every part of our industry (editing, DTP,
layout, etc.) though I understand writing
is the focus and there are other lists
for focusing on the other areas.

My $.02 cents.

Melonie Holliman