Re: DTP and Writing

Subject: Re: DTP and Writing
From: Carla Martinek <carlam -at- MINERVA -dot- ODESTA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 09:47:35 -0500

I agree with all the writers that have spoken up and said that wearing =
multiple hats as a technical writer is a *good* thing. In my ten or so =
years in the business, as both contractor/consultant and full-time =
employee, I've been required to use multiple software platforms and =
multiple applications - at the same company. I've recently started with =
Open Text Corportation, and the documentation requirements include =
writing user docs and developer docs--both hard copy and online help =
files, html files for the web, and who know what else. If I hadn't been =
flexible in my skills, I wouldn't have been considered for the job.

I think the term to best describe what a lot of us are doing now is =
TECHNICAL COMMUNICATIONS - which incorporates the multi-faceted parts of =
the job. Many of us actually *enjoy* the variety in the jobs we now =
perform, and wouldn't accept a writing-only position (unless we were =
really desperate).

My $.02 worth (and my first post to the list)

Carla Martinek
Technical Writer, Open Text Corporation
carlam -at- odesta -dot- com

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net