Re: Windows terminology (aka tab thingys)

Subject: Re: Windows terminology (aka tab thingys)
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 15:53:23 IDT

Anyone know what the Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications calls
these tabbed thingys?

** Tabs.

First it says ...

"Both dialog boxes and property sheets can have tabbed
pages that group similar sets of options or properties."

But then it says ...

"In general, avoid using the term _dialog box_ or _property sheet_
if you can and refer to property sheets as dialog boxes if you can't
avoid a descriptor."

(Maybe they meant not "the term _dialog box_ or _property sheet_"
but "the term _dialog box or property sheet_"?)

And then it says that "tab" rather than "tabbed page" is the term
"that should normally be used in end-user documentation," while
"tabbed page" is permissible in technical documentation.

|| -- Mark L. Levinson - nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il - Herzlia, Israel -- ||
|| You can't judge right by looking at the wrong. - Willie Dixon ||

Post Message: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
Get Commands: LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU with "help" in body.
Unsubscribe: LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU with "signoff TECHWR-L"
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net

Previous by Author: COUNTERFEIT MESSAGES: The feminization of tech writing
Next by Author: Re. Customizable interfaces
Previous by Thread: Re: Windows terminology (aka tab thingys)
Next by Thread: WWW references

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads