Re: SURVEY RESULTS (LONG)

Subject: Re: SURVEY RESULTS (LONG)
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 07:25:56 -0400

At 10:34 PM 4/17/96 PDT, Marilynne Smith wrote in response to Bernard McCann::

<SNIP>

>It almost sounds like you used the survey to support a pre-existing opinion.

>1. I use a lot of different tools because my employers demand them. If
>they have to pay for training, that is, time spent on the job learning a
>tool, it's because they chose the tool. I just learn it to please my employer.

I agree completely. I work REGULARLY in Word6, Word7, WP5.1 for DOS,
PagePlus, CorelDraw3, Autosketch, and Excel7. I might spend equal amounts
of time on all of these in a given week for different clients.

<SNIP>

>>and it is unlikely that a writer will attain "senior" status with only
>>three years experience.

>Guess what? I agree with you here. Not only that, but with brand new
>writers, your chances are good that their writing and editing won't be very
>good. It does take a while to develop the necessary skills. I'd put the
>minimum at 5 years, but the more the better.

I have 16 years of engineering experience, and 3 years of direct tech
writing experience. I did a LOT of writing as an engineer; I also learned
all my project management skills then.

But my resume lists 3 years of tech writing experience. Am I qualified as a
senior tech writer? Within my areas of expertise, you bet.

Win
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net