Re: SURVEY RESULTS (LONG)

Subject: Re: SURVEY RESULTS (LONG)
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 09:03:33 HST

I read somewhere once, awhile ago, when the big war between DOS and Windows was
running, that the "average" DOS user used only one or two different programs,
while the "average" Windows user used five. I routinely use the following:
WordPerfect, CorelDraw, a screen capture program, a PIM program, two different
mail programs, and the six different mainframe or PC applications I'm
documenting. I would like to add another tool -- one for tracking changes in
the applications and the documentation.

Text is only one communications method. Illustrative graphics are another. Page
design, typeface selection, and other "non-word" aspects are also
communications methods. Unless you're gifted with programs that integrate those
other methods, you must use multiple programs. If you're also dealing with
online documentation for software, you may also need programs for working with
sound and various animation technologies (computer animation, playing a video
disc, whatever).

Producing effective communication materials requires attention to *all* the
different forms of communication in the document, not just the text.

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com
Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate

DISCLAIMER:
"I do not speak for my employer, my computer, or any other living thing."

To: TECHWR-L @ LISTSERV.OKSTATE.EDU (Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L) @
Internet
cc: (bcc: David Jones/KSBEISD)
From: mrsmith @ CTS.COM (Marilynne Smith) @ Internet @ DATAHUB
Date: 04/17/96 10:34:00 PM

<SNIPS>
Bernie
2. Don't underestimate the number of tools a writer is required to use.
Today I used OS/2 and Windows, two different screen capture programs (one
for each operating system), a graphics program, a mail program on the
mainframe, and an early version of the product I am documenting. I'm
actually writing the book in WordPerfect.
<MORE SNIPS>

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net